Breakfast is my favourite meal of the day but I must admit I don’t always have time to make something exciting, except on the weekends. I was flicking through an October 2008 Home Beautiful magazine and came across this interesting recipe. Of course it was the photo that caught my eye – a fluffy stack of lightly golden fritters drizzled with melting butter and a sliver of shaved ham. I tore that baby right out of the magazine without a second thought.
I served this to two of my girlfriends who were visiting for the weekend and they thoroughly enjoyed them. Our plan was to head up to the Blue Mountains west of Sydney and browse through the shops at Leura followed by High Tea at the recently refurbished Hydro Majestic Hotel. A great spot if you are ever up that way – they have shops, a cafe, hotel and an amazing view.
These corn fritters are light, flavoursome and the ricotta gives them a smooth cheese texture. They are easy to prepare and quick to cook and you can freeze any left over fritters for a weekday splurge (just remember to defrost them thoroughly in the fridge and a 30 second burst in the microwave is all that is needed before you add the butter and ham).
I teamed these with my own herbed butter recipe, provided below, which complimented the fritters by providing a glistening herby coating to the fritters. Let me know what you think if you choose to use my herbed butter recipe.
Note: I also substituted gluten free flours in this recipe and it made no difference to the texture or taste of the fritters.
Corn and Ricotta Fritters by Home Beautiful Magazine
- 1 cup plain flour, sifted
- 3/4 cup self-raising flour, sifted
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/4 cup milk (skim, trim or full cream)
- 310g can of creamed corn
- 250g semi-firm ricotta cheese
- salt and ground white pepper, to season
- butter, to grease frypan
- sea salt, to serve
- shaved leg ham, one slice per serving
- extra butter to serve (or use the my herbed butter recipe below)
- Sift plain and self-raising flours into a bowl.
- Whisk together the eggs, milk and creamed corn until well combined and smooth.
- Stir in crumbled ricotta cheese and season with salt and white pepper.
- Grease a non-stick frypan with a little butter and ut over a medium heat. Cook 1/4 cupfuls of the mixture until the top of the batter begins to bubble. Turn over and cook for 1-2 minutes, until golden. Repeat with the remaining batters.
- Stck the fritters nd cover to keep wrm. Serve sprinkled with sea salt and topped with shaved leg ham. Add a little butter on top, if desired.
Herbed Butter Recipe by Gourmet Salvor
- 250g unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2-3 tbs finely grated (fresh) parmesan cheese
- 1 tbs finely chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tbs finely chopped fresh chives
- Black cracked pepper to taste
- Gladwrap, to store in fridge/freezer
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl with a wooden spoon.
- Place butter mixture in centre of a piece of glad wrap and cover. Roll into a log shape and freeze overnight or for at least 1 hour.
- Cut off portions (slice like a salami) and serve with corn fritters, steak or steamed vegetables.